Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Annoying people

How do we react/treat people who annoy us? Okay - so it is a bizarre subject to start with - but it is heavy on my mind now. You see i once knew a dear man who passed away. He truly was a good man. He would do anything to help you. When my husband moved to his town before the rest of our family, he gave him a bookcase for his books (we had not moved all of our furniture). He loved it when his daughter babysat my granddaughter - he would play with her and drive them where ever they needed to go. He was disabled but kept the house spotless and taxied his family everywhere. He worked at little odd jobs around the church taking care of things without being asked (taking out trash, cleaning the baptistry, turning on heaters, etc).
Yet, he could also be so annoying. He would interrupt your conversation to shake your hand, get up and leave several times through the service, making a scene, and just hover. I found this very annoying because I am someone who needs space. I loved his wife dearly, but I would avoid him.

Now he is gone and as I reflect - I am ashamed. His good points truly did outweigh his bad. Why could I not be more tolerant? So what will I do with this? I would like to say, I will NEVER do that again! Ha - I know "me" too well for that. I do hope, though, that I will be more aware of it and try to be more giving. Is it really so hard to look past those little annoyances and give the pleasure a simple smile and handshake give? I pray that when I feel the irritation rising, Jim will be called to my remembrance and not only will I smile and shake the hand, but in my heart I will commit to love this person regardless of their faults (my perception).

I would like to think I was not out and out rude to him. I would smile (did it reach my eyes?) and return his handshake. But if he didn't approach me, I did not approach him. I loved him, but I didn't always like him. I have prayed for forgiveness - I know I have received it. But my part of that is to turn in a different direction. To do differently.

I guess as I said goodbye to him, I must also thank him for teaching me a little more about people. You see, how often do we do this to those we love? There is no question that we do love them, yet, we allow their little idiosyncrasies to rub us the wrong way. Soon we see more of their faults than their good traits - their blessings. We do this to our husbands, children, parents, friends... This list goes on. No one can ever meet our expectations - it isn't a matter of lowering the standard, but of accepting people and their efforts for just that - efforts.



For with what measure you mete, so shall it be measured unto you. Those are strong words. But also merciful words. We don't want to always have to meet someone else's standard. We don't have to be so driven - we can relax and accept people for who they are - unique and precious in God's sight. Should they be any different in ours?

Suracha

4 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jana B said...

You have a BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*doing the "Happy Mom's Got Her First Blog Dance"*

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger SILVER BULLET said...

I'm quite impressed. What a very thought provoking blog you have! I look forward to reading more.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Nonna said...

Good thought. I really enjoyed reading it. Nonna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home