Friday, March 10, 2006

Fear

What a nightmare trip! I went to Indiana for a funeral on Wednesday and came home yesterday. It was raining when we left, no big deal. However, after passing Louisville, the deluge began. Buckets and sheets pouring from the sky! Visibility immediately went from fair to nothing within seconds. This is not cool when traveling at 70 miles per hour with huge trucks on all sides. Flashers came on and I found the name of Jesus on my lips.

The gut gripping fear eased - immediately. Tension was still there, but that too eased as I continued to call on His name. I was reminded of the disciples in the boat - I knew their feelings of helplessness and fear. Because of hearing their story for years and experiencing the same in my life, in this situation I knew what to do. I didn't waste time trying to figure it out on my own. I just slowed, moved aside and allowed the knowledge of His presence to speak peace - if not to the storm outside, then to the storm inside me. I knew regardless of the storm, His hand was with us.

I remember another similar storm when this was not the case. I pulled over to the side of the road and sat paralyzed in fear. My three babies were with me and I could imagine every horrible thing that could happen to us. So what was different this time? Maybe He has come through so many times that I now KNOW He will be with me. Possibly I am more in-tune with Him right now that He is closer to me (in my mind) than on other occasions. Somehow, I think this latter may be closer to the truth. You see, He doesn't move - but when we fill our lives with lots of clutter and don't have a daily relationship with Him, we don't feel as close.

Think about these earthly relationships. If you need a major favor - who are you most likely to ask? Tom who works at WalMart or Joe, your next door neighbor whom you see and talk with each day as he walks his dog, mowed his lawn when he was sick, or taken a meal to when his wife was ill? It is going to be Joe, the one with whom you have a relationship - not Tom to whom you say hi and exchange pleasantries in the check out lane.

It is no different with Jesus. When you invest in a relationship with Him, when you have a need - you have no qualms with asking - and knowing it will be answered.

Seems that is the 'perfect love' He talks about in His word - the love that casteth out all fear.

Okay, maybe this isn't blog material - Of course I am new to this so I don't really know - but if it helps me think through things and clear things in my mind, I guess it will serve its purpose. And if it stimulates someone else to think through things also (in agreement or disagreement) that's even cooler! ha ha - don't you love that word?

Suracha

2 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yes this is blog material!!! Whatever you want to write about is blog material and I'm loving it!

I honestly do not know what i would do without Jesus. I have known fear. I have been clinically diagnosed with panic disorder and if I didn't have Jesus to cling to when fear paralyzes me I don't know what I would do. He is my Rock.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This touched me Sally so I sent it to several who I knew needed to hear it . Hope you don't mind .
Love Cathy ( foo foo)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home