Saturday, March 11, 2006

Fixer

Several years ago, our family did some psychological profiling. Can't exactly remember why, but it seems it was during our time of fostering. Anyway, mine revealed me to be a fixer. I desire to fix problems, to make folks happy. I am at extreme unease when people are fighting, bickering or in a 'funk' so to speak.

Great! I am consumed by a need to fix everyone's problems. What a wonderful way to make yourself miserable! You see you can't fix everyone's problems. I can barely fix my own! It's not all bad, I do get a great sense of well being / satisfaction when I am able to help someone. But I must be careful that I am not enabling them to be dependent.

It has created problems in my marriage. If my husband gets a bit too self sufficient, I do not feel needed or even worse abandoned. So I have had to really work on my feelings of self esteem, separating how I feel about me with the actions of others. No easy task and probably one I will be working on for the rest of my life.

Okay, fast forward a bit and regard my involvement with the American Red Cross. Now originally I became involved with this very noble organization (yes, I know they have their problems) because although I had taught CPR for the American Heart Association for about 10 years, I often was requested to also teach first aid. At that time AHA did not offer that option. So I went to the ARC to cross train. I began teaching CPR and first aid with ARC. After 911, I felt I wanted to do more so volunteered on the local (Kosciusko County, Indiana) chapter's disaster team. This was very fulfilling for me personally. I was able to help people and when not doing that, I was involved in trainings, prevention, and public education. I went to many many training sessions to better prepare myself to serve however I may be needed in the event of a disaster.

Besides local fire calls, where I (and the other volunteers) would help families find shelter, food, clothing, and other immediate needs, I was able to help with the floods of Northern Indiana. This, I found to be fulfilling and I derived great pleasure from my involvement.

When we moved, my first contact with the local chapter were a grave disappointment. They seemed to be having problems to the point of possibly closing. I maintained my distance - kind of a wait and see approach. Then came hurricane Katrina. Since I had completed my DSHR certification, allowing me to respond to any national disaster, my phone calls to volunteer where never returned. I was discouraged so decided to check in again with the local chapter. It seemed they were servicing evacuees in our service area, so I gladly went to work.

It would seem there were personnel problems from the start. One of the most prominent volunteers was asked to leave. I understood this as I had personally witnessed and been at the brunt of her rampages against the ARC and the glorifying of herself. But then I also became aware of many, many other problems. The chapter continued to have financial problems, there was internal bickering among volunteers, between board members, and finally with between board members/volunteers and the director.

I continued to teach classes and tried to volunteer as I was able. But things continued to disintegrate. I found myself avoiding ARC calls. I hated to give up on this as I truly believe in the ARC and its mission. However, the local problems were far greater than I had time, energy, capabilities, or desire to fix.

I have invested hundreds of hours in training and work with the ARC and really connect with their mission, now I find it all gone. If I have any future involvement with them, I will need to start over. This decision has taken several months to reach as it has not been made lightly. I just do not have the availability of time to commit to something of this magnitude.

So I guess this is farewell to a chapter of my life. I am sad, but I look forward with anticipation for where God will place me next. What task will He lay before me? You see, He made me like I am for a reason. The Bible says we are made in His image. I am humbled that He gave me this part of His likeness as my gift.

Suracha

1 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jana B said...

Sounds like that whole "When God closes a door, he opens a window" kinda thing... It'll be fun to see what door/window will open next! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home