Friday, November 14, 2008

Inspiration

So my dear daughter has guilted me into updating here. But isn't that what daughters are good at? Guilting their mothers? It is an inherited thing, although I am sure I don't do that to my mother. Okay, maybe to get visits. But, it is reciprocated! Boy if that is not a lousy rationalization. Time to move on....

I guess the newest and greatest thing in my life right now is success! You see, July 29, I embarked on a new journey. I was going to get healthy. Of course, a primary focus was weight loss, but beyond that, making healthy choices.

Although I have not hit the "50" mark, it is very close and if I am not going to be totally useless in a few years - I had better do something NOW!

So, we (yes, my dear husband has joined me in this quest) are drinking water instead of other drinks. Okay, yes, coffee remains - but it is decaf now. We are eating fruits and vegetables (at least 5 a day). Limiting drastically the simple carbohydrates - especially white flour items, and being conscious of calories taken in. This is accomplished mainly through portion control and making wise choices through out the day.

The nice thing about this is it allows for treats periodically, just not a massive amount of them.

So what have I discovered on this journey?

1 - Hunger is good. Oh, not starvation hunger. But I get hungry now. I never did before. I always ate frequently enough that I can say I never felt that feeling of needing to eat. Now, when I get hungry, I know it is time to eat. And, guess what? It is usually right at meal times too - meaning enough hours have passed that this is a natural sensation.

2 - I love fish! No, not just tolerate it - not even just like it. I love it. I am selecting fish as an entre' when we go out now. Okay, my favorite is the Guiltless Grilled Salmon at Chili's, sans beans, with double broccoli. Oh, my makes me hungry just thinking of it! I now fix it regularly at home - much to the dismay of my son. So, I limit that for his sake.

3 - I love water. At first I added flavoring to it and guzzled the stuff. But I found it left a dry taste in my mouth and didn't seem to quench my thirst. The plain water now is so refreshing. My usual plan is: 2 bottles of water before work, then at least 2 - 3 more the rest of the day.

4 - It really isn't hard to make these right choices. Okay, sometimes it is, like last night with a huge pan of Sis. Emma's banana pudding at the ready! And I was dishing it up for everyone at the dinner. So, I put 2 tablespoons in a cup and left! That way, I didn't get tempted to dip in for more after I tasted it and went to heaven! ha ha.

So what has been the results? Forty-seven pounds gone thus far! Woo Hoo! I can climb a flight of stairs without getting winded. I can put on my shoes without getting short of breath! I am beginning (note that word!) to think (note that word also!) about exercise. I have actually done some strengthening activities, just not faithfully or regularly. I believe this will come.

Oh, and my man? He is now at goal! And my does he look fine! He got his old wardrobe back. All the pants I had removed from his closet to give away? Well they are back and no belly paunch. And, he is thinking along the healthy lines too. Making choices to include vegetables and fruits, also.

Okay, there is other stuff going on, but I will save it for another day. After all - if I am to meet the expectations of my daughter, I must continue with this.

Be blessed in the Lord today, and rejoice!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Linus said...

Mommy, I am so proud of you guys. I can't wait to see you in two weeks. Im not really sure there will be anything to see, but I will take what I can get.

How do I guilt you? I didn't say you had to blog, I just decided to do one so I could be on the phone less. We know too many people that do not live here so... Although, if me blogging motivates you to that is fine with me. I like to know what is going on with your life, and until I get a job that doesn't keep me on an opposite schedule from you, reading your blog helps me know what you are up to.

Love you, keep up the good work

Sarah

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jana B said...

WOW!!!!!!! You go girl!!!! I am BEYOND proud of you!!!!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Linus said...

Apparently my guilting isn't working very well. Two posts a month? Tsk, tsk...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home